Ciao from Italia! I’m really enjoying my time studying abroad in Florence, Italy. Since I began my journey here, I’ve become very inspired by the culture, the scenery, and especially by the food. I’ve subconsciously made it a goal of mine to try and cultivate new vegan recipes using local ingredients from the markets I have visited. Out of the many amazing ingredients I’ve come across during my time here, I have become most intrigued by creating a vegan recipe using truffles. Personally, I think that mushrooms are the perfect meat substitute due to their ability to absorb flavor, so I figured why not create something delicious and nutritious using the most highly valued mushroom in the world; the truffle.
If you are planning on studying abroad in Florence, Italy any time soon, you can purchase all of these ingredients in Italy. The truffle “cream” (doesn’t actually contain any dairy) was from the central market as were the mushrooms, shallots, sun-dried tomatoes and garlic. The parsley and Rice cream were from a health food store in Italy called Coop (it’s amazing). I have tagged the location of the central market in this blog post. Now let’s cook!
2 medium sized shallots chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
1 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
1 handful of basil chopped
1 1/2 cup mushrooms chopped
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1 container vegan cream sauce (or cashew cream, or any other vegan cream substitute that you like. worst case scenario, you can add almond milk and a little flour to thicken it up)
1 tsp truffle oil OR minced truffles
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp pepper
1 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp olive oil
- On medium heat sauté mushrooms and shallots for approximately 2-3 minuets or until soft.
- Add salt, pepper and garlic powder. Once shallots and mushrooms are soft add garlic, and sauté for another minuet.
- Add cream sauce of choice, bring mixture to a boil and then reduce mixture to a simmer.
- While sauce is simmering, cook pasta and drain it.
- Place cooked pasta back into the pot, transfer sauce into the same pot and reduce heat to low. Stir to combine pasta and sauce.
- Add basil, parsley and sun-dried tomatoes to pasta and sauce. Add more salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
- IMPORTANT: literally add 1 small tsp of truffle oil or minced truffles. It is very strong, you only need a little. Stir throughly
- Plate, serve and enjoy!