Hi everyone! I have been experimenting with several different “super-foods” lately, and I have finally (after a little trial and error) created a breakfast that encompasses, and truly emphasizes the flavors of 4 of todays trending superfoods. I have managed to successfully create the perfect little dish with combining superfoods matcha, spirulina, acai and hempseed. Not only will you find that these diverse flavors surprisingly work really well together, but the other ingredients I have used in the smoothie complement the flavors in a way which enhances their deliciousness. Any smoothie bowl is always perfect for breakfast, lunch or even dessert.
Before I share the extremely simple recipe with you, lets quickly discuss why we should be consuming these odd-named foods. First, many of these foods contain antioxidants, which help protect the cells of the body from damage due to free radicals. Free radicals are atoms that have an odd number of electrons, and are highly reactive. They can damage cellular DNA, which consequently causes malfunction of the affected cell. If you would like to learn more about free radicals click the link here. Spirulina, derived from algae, contains high amounts of antioxidants as well as protein, vitamins, minerals and carotenoids. Below is a diagram that can help further explain the benefits of spirulina, and allows you to see what it looks like. Don’t be freaked out by its green color, it has a very mild flavor.
Next is matcha. Like spirulina, matcha is also rich in antioxidants and is green in nature as it is derived from green tea. This superfood is particularly interesting to consumers because it contains a specific class of antioxidants known as catechins. These catechins provide cancer fighting properties and are not generally found in any other food. However, make sure that the matcha you consume does not contain high amounts of sugar, and that it is 100% natural because otherwise you may not be reaping all of the benefits. Here are some added benefits of matcha presented by the Full Leaf Tea Company (They sell great matcha by the way).
Acai berries and hemp seeds are unique because they provide heart healthy fats. Not many berries provide the body with healthy fats, and that is why acai has become so popular. Hemp seeds are, as you could have guessed, derived from the hemp plant. They too provide the body with healthy fats and the essential fatty acid Omega-3. Both of these super foods also provide the body with antioxidants, a small amount of protein and dietary fiber. Did I mention they were good for your heart?
Don’t be intimidated if you’ve never heard of these foods before, or get discouraged if you don’t know where to get them. You can purchase these foods at Whole Foods Market, Trader Joes, Homegoods, Marshalls/ TJ Maxx, or online from Amazon. You can also check the healthy foods or whole foods isle of your local grocery store because sometimes they have them too. Okay, so now that we’ve got all of that out of the way, I’ll show you how to combine all of these amazing foods into one simple meal.
Note*** This meal is vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free friendly***
- 1.5 cups pineapple chopped (either frozen or fresh, but for this recipe, it works better frozen)
- 1/2- 1cup coconut milk.
- 1 package frozen Acai OR 1 Tbsp Acai powder. (Works better with frozen Acai)
- 1 Tbsp spirulina powder
- 1 Tbsp matcha powder
- (optional) 1/4 cup spinach
- 1/2 star fruit
- 1 passion fruit
- 1-2 Tbsp hemp seeds (for garnish)
- 1-2 Tbsp gogi berries (for garnish)
- 1/8 cup granola (I used chocolate granola, but you can use any kind)
- Add pineapple, acai, spirulina, matcha, coconut milk (begin with 1/2 cup and then add more if too thick), and optional spinach to a food processor or blender. *Note: this recipe works best in a Vitamix, but if you don’t have one that is still perfectly fine. (The pink/purple colored thing in the image below is the frozen acai)
- Blend ingredients be starting out on a low speed, then gradually increasing speed until all of the ingredients are combined together. Should be a sorbet consistency. Note* If you have a Vitamix, simply use the frozen dessert presetting or gradually increase from speed 1 to 9 over the course of 55 seconds.
- Pour mixture into a bowl. Should be greenish in color.
- Add toppings and enjoy. Again, I chose ingredients that compliment the various flavors in the smoothie, but you can really use anything you like. For example, the sweetness of the gogi berries enhances the bitter, tart flavor of the matcha, but you can use another sweet fruit. The passion fruit helps balance the acidity in the dish, but you’re more than welcome to sprinkle lime on the top to get the same effect. The granola adds texture, and the dark chocolate enhances the flavor of the acai. Star fruit has a neutral flavor, but I think it works well with spirulina. Hemp seeds are basically tasteless so they can go with pretty much anything! Comments and questions are always welcome below. Enjoy!