Prepare yourself for the unique, sublime flavor of these babies! Before you head for the hills or feel guilty for even seeing the word pancake, have no fear folks because these pancakes are not only delicious, but they are heart healthy and cruelty free as well. Last time I was at Trader Joe’s, I saw coffee flour on the shelf, and was enticed by it’s uniqueness. I bought it, unequivocal that I could find a use for it. Thus the vegan blueberry coffee pancake was born.
I always understood that blueberries, being that they are a berry, promoted immunity. However, I wasn’t sure of all of the benefits blueberries offer, and consequently did a little research. Here’s what I found:
According to authors Arpita Basu, Michael Rhone, and Timothy J Lyons, in their peer reviewed article Emerging Impact on Cardiovascular Health, blueberries play a role in reducing cardiovascular disease due to the fact that they contain a high amount of fiber and nutrients such as antioxidants, flavonoids, vitamins and anthocyanins, yet are low in calories. According to the data presented in the study, the consumption of blueberries reduced inflammation in clinical trials. I found it most interesting, however, that the study claimed that blueberries were able to reduce the risk factors of cardiovascular disease, and development of other chronic illness significantly in smokers. Essentially, the blueberry is a superfood. Other benefits of consuming blueberries include receiving ample vitamin C, and antioxidants containing anti-aging properties that have the ability to combat wrinkles, age spots, osteoporosis, hair loss, and even dementia. As you can see, it is a good idea to incorporate blueberries into your diet, and I have provided a perfect way for you to start below.
- 1 cup Whole Grain Pancake mix ,or multigrain pancake mix, or multigrain flour and 3 tbsp ground flax seed mixed.
- 1.5 cups almond milk
- 1 flax egg (see instructions below)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- *optional* 1 scoop vegan protein powder of choice (I used Vegan Vanilla Almond flavor)
- 2 (generous) tbsp coffee flour
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil OR 1 tbsp safflower seed oil
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- vegan butter of choice / organic maple syrup or agave for garnish
- In a small bowl, mix 1 tbsp golden flax powder (ground flaxseed) with 2 tbsp water. set aside. This should form a thick consistency. It will act as the binding agent in the pancakes. Flax “eggs” can be used as egg substitutes in any recipe. 1 Flax “egg” is equivalent to one egg when baking.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Begin by combining the dry ingredients, then add the wet ingredients (including flax “egg”). If the batter is too thick, add water or more almond milk to make it less viscous. The batter shouldn’t be too loose like normal pancake batter would be. See below images.
- Add blueberries to batter. Heat a frying pan to medium-low heat, and spray with cooking spray. I use organic coconut oil spray. These pancakes are thicker, and usually take longer to cook on each side than normal pancakes. Each side should take approximately 2-3 minutes depending on thickness. This is normal. Plate, serve and enjoy.
- Garnish as desired, or eat plain. They also last up to a week in the fridge if you can’t eat them all in one sitting.