Whether you’ve followed my blog from the beginning, you know me personally, or are new to my blog, you will quickly learn that I am what they call: pancake obsessed. Being that dessert is one of my favorite things in this world, I take great pride in creating unique variations of the most compelling dessert breakfast has to offer; the pancake. While the title encompasses the flavors you should expect to taste in these pancakes, I like to refer to these pancakes as my immunity cakes. I’ll tell you why.
The star of the show in the recipe is turmeric. While the other ingredients have health benefits as well (coconut is high in vitamin E, passionfruit contains vitamin C), they are mainly used as flavor enhancers. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the “super root” turmeric, it acts as an anti-inflammatory agent in the body. Turmeric has also been scientifically proven to be able to out compete pain relievers such as aspirin, and a study published in the Phytotherapy Research Journal claimed that turmeric has been proven to have anticancer, and anti-carcenogenic properties. Cool right? Im assuming after hearing that, you’re ready to make some healthy pancakes.
*Side note: If you’re more of a waffle person, there’s no need to leave this page because all of the pancake recipes I create also happen to be waffle maker friendly.
Ingredients (serves 3-4 people):
- 2 cups whole grain pancake mix of choice OR multigrain pancake mix of choice OR whole grain flour and 3 tbsp golden flax powder.
- 1 cup golden milk (almond milk mixed with 2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp fresh grated ginger, 1 tbsp agave)
- 1 cup regular almond milk
- 2 flax eggs ( 1 flaw egg = 1 tbsp golden flax powder 2 tbsp water)
- coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 passion fruits
- 1 scoop vegan protein powder
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl (minus coconut flakes and passion fruit) If the mixture seems too thick, add more almond like and stir until mixture becomes a viscous liquid. This mixture is should not be watery.
- Spray pan with non stick oil spray. (I used coconut oil spray from Trader Joes) and scoop batter onto pan. Cook for about 2 minuets before flipping. Cook the other side for another 2 minuets.
- Pancakes should be golden in color
- Decorate with coconut and passion fruit. Add vegan butter and maple syrup or agave (optional). Serve and enjoy!