Creating fusion dishes has to be my favorite thing when it comes to creating recipes. I love the combination of easily identifiable flavors that identify with contrasting backgrounds. In this dish, it’s easy to taste the pungent semisweet basil as it mixes with the acidic marinade that lightly coats the tofu.
I originally aspired to create vegan feta cheese using tofu and various spices, but it turned into a delicious, and different marinated tofu instead. I say different because I never thought to give tofu an acidic flavor using apple cider vinegar and Italian spices, but I can’t emphasize how good it is. It also happens to go perfectly with my creamy arugula/basil pesto sauce. The best part is, its all 100% vegan.
Before I give you the recipe however, I just want to mention a few things about apple cider vinegar. First, despite the fact that vinegar seems to be very acidic, it can actually help prevent acid reflux. It has also been proven to reduce diabetes, promote weight loss, and stimulate digestion by boosting ones metabolism.
Ingredients: Marinated Tofu
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 3 tbsp white miso paste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
Ingredients: Arugula Basil Pesto (Feeds 6)
- 1 package brown rice pasta or quinoa pasta
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3 packages fresh basil
- 1 package fresh arugula
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup coconut milk (optional)
(arugula not in image)
- Cut tofu into even sized cubes
- In a mixing bowl add all ingredients and mix well
- Add marinade to tofu, and place into the fridge for at least one hour.
Method: Basil Arugula Pesto
- Sort through basil to make sure none of its rotten or in poor condition.
- Add all ingredients except arugula to a high speed blender or food processor.
- Salt to taste.
- Add arugula. Blend again.
- Cook pasta as directed.
- Add sauce to pasta. Add tofu.
- Add cherry tomatoes and chopped red onion for decoration (optional)