When I think brownie, I think chocolatey deliciousness. I also think high in added sugar, fat, and simple carbs. In an effort to minimize the guilt that comes with indulging in one of my favorite treats, I've decided to create all natural gluten free vegan brownie ice cream sandwich.
No need to worry about added sugars here! These brownies are sweetened with bananas and dates. Their doughy base comes from brown rice flour and oats, making these not only a perfect dessert, but also perfect for breakfast. The "ice cream" is mainly made from bananas and cocoa powder, making these brownie sandwiches a perfect choice for anyone watching their weight or trying to live a healthier life style.
Why choose these over real brownies? First, added sugars promote obesity, diabetes and cancer. My brownies are sweetened naturally with dates, which, in my opinion and should be incorporated into the diet. I'll tell you why. Dates contain many essential vitamins including vitamin A and vitamin K. They also contain folate, potassium, magnesium and copper. They are full of fiber, and they even contain a little bit of protein. Dates have been suggested to lover risk of diabetes, cancer, promote weight loss, improve vision, boost nervous system and bone health, and stimulate digestion. Eat dates. Oats provide the body with a burst of energy, and fortified oats can allocate the body with iron, zinc, and even vitamin B12, which are essential nutrients vegans tend to be deficient in. If all of that doesn't entice you, than you'll be pleased to know that along with being healthy, these brownies are super delicious and easy to make.
2 ripe bananas
1 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup Whole organic oats
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup apple sauce
2 flax eggs (1 flax egg = 1tbsp golden flax powder mixed with 2 tbsp water)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup pitted dates
1/4 cup water
2 generous tbsp melted coconut oil
*optional: vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor or high speed blender mix dates and coconut oil until smooth. Set aside
- In a separate small bowl mix 2tbsp golden flax powder with 4tbsp water to make two flax eggs. (If this substance is extremely viscous, add 1-2 more tbsp water until mixture forms egg like consistency. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients including flax eggs and date/coconut oil mixture in a large mixing bowl. Mix until dough consistency forms.
- Spray 9' nonstick pan with cooking spray or use vegan butter (I used organic coconut oil spray from Trader Joe's). Pour mixture into pan.
- Place in preheated oven. Bake for 15-20 minuets.
- Cool completely before cutting. Enjoy 🙂
Ingredients (ice cream aka nice cream):
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 tsp coconut oil (optional)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder. (May need to add more if you like it really chocolatey)
Method (nice cream):
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or high speed blender. Blend until ice cream consistency
Method (brownie sandwich):
- Place one or two or three scoops nice cream in between two brownies.
- Decorate as desired. I found this goes great with gogi berries and hemp seeds
- Serve/enjoy… and don't feel guilty 🙂