Everyone loves a warm bowl of soup especially during the cold months. It’s always extremely pleasing when a soup is both warm and delicious, and can immerse the pallet with something more than just warmth -delectable flavor.
This recipe is packed with nutrients, and the flavor is a-mazing. Herbs such as basil contain magnesium, and ginger is a root that has been proven to contain anti-inflammatory properties. Magnesium is a mineral that is fairly abundant in the body and participates in various chemical reactions that are responsible for proper bodily functions. Magnesium plays a role in may processes such as muscle contraction, transmission and neurological muscular conduction, DNA and RNA synthesis, and immune function. Without it, the body simply won’t function properly. There have been several studies deciphering the link between magnesium and fibromyalgia, and some, including this study from the NCIB, have concluded that a deficiency of magnesium can attribute to fibromyalgia.
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 tbsp lemon thyme OR lemon grass
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground ginger
- 1/4 cup scallions
- 1 package white button mushrooms
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp safflower seed oil
- Optional* Bell pepper for topping
- Optional** Add 1 tsp lucuma powder, and 1 tsp chlorella or spirulina powder for extra antioxidants and phytochemicals
- Heat a skillet to medium heat
- Slice mushrooms as desired
- Add mushrooms, safflower oil, pinch of salt, pepper, and 1 tsp of garlic powder to skillet. Cook on medium heat for about five minuets until mushrooms begin to soften and brown.
- Add 1 tbsp lemon thyme and sauté for another 3-5 minuets. Set aside.
- Add all other ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. SAVE about 2 tbsp of the coconut milk and set aside for garnish. If your blender doesn’t have a heating component, pour the blended mixture into a skillet and heat until hot.
- Add mushrooms to heated liquid. Top will scallions, a pinch of lemon thyme, a pinch of black pepper and about a tbsp of fresh chopped bell pepper. Use a spoon to drizzle soup with left over coconut milk to add a little extra pizzaz. Enjoy!