Hey everyone! I don’t know about you, but I often crave quesadillas. I just love the flavors and textures of a warm, “cheesy”, crispy tortilla. Yum! Unfortunately, being vegan, there aren’t many places I can go to have a quesadilla that will satisfy my craving and my diet. But that’s okay because what do you do when you can’t just go out and find the food you’re looking for? -You make it, of course! Introducing my vegan friendly Mediterranean quesadillas! They pair perfectly with my curry flavored plantains, and some of my classic guacamole.
Unlike your typical cheesy filled white flour tortilla quesadilla my quesadillas are made with multigrain flax seed tortillas packed with fiber, organic hummus containing protein, crisp sweet red onions and of course Daiya vegan cheese. Your typical white flour tortilla has little to no nutritional value seeing as it is made with either modified grains or white corn. These grains are stripped of their nutritional value during processing, and therefore contain very little to no dietary fiber, and breakdown in your body mainly as sugar. Your typical quesadilla contains approximately 528 calories, 27 grams of total fat, 11 of which are saturated, 67mg of cholesterol, 3.4 grams of sugar, 27 grams of protein, and 3.1 grams of dietary fiber. It also contains approximately 48% of ones daily reccommended Calcium intake, as well as vitamin A, D, B-12, B6, Iron and Magnesium.
My quesadillas contain 350 calories, 12 grams of protein, 2 grams of sugar, 11 grams of dietary fiber, 0 mg of cholesterol, and 16 grams of total fat, 2 of which are from saturated fat. They also contain Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, vitamin A and vitamin C. Which is the healthier choice? You decide.
- 2 pieces of multigrain flax tortillas
- Approximately 1/4 cup Diaya Vegan Cheese
- 1 Tbsp original flavored organic hummus of choice
- 1 Tbsp red onion diced
- 1/2 Tbsp Extra virgin oilve oil or coconut oil
- pinch of thyme
- pinch of turmeric
- pinch of curry powder
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Brush oil at the bottom of a skillet or frying pan of choice ( Make sure pan is large enough to fit the tortilla on).
- Sprinkle spices onto oil and mix around at the bottom of the pan (If previously made curry flavored plantains, just use spice and oil residue). Should look a little something like below image.
- Coat one side of one tortilla with 1/2 Tbsp of hummus and place in pan hummus side facing up. Sprinkle red onion on top.
- Allow tortilla to warm up for 1-2 minuets then add vegan cheese of choice (can also use real cheese if not vegan).
- While cheese begins to melt, use remaining 1/2 Tbsp hummus to coat one side of other tortilla and place on top of melting cheese in pan.
- Allow quesadilla to cook on one side for approximately two minuets before flipping. Once you flip it, it should have a yellow hint of color from the tumeric.
- Cook on opposite side for another 1-2 minuets. Plate and enjoy 🙂
As always let me know if you have any questions, and let me know what you think!